Dr. David Perlmutter
(Director, Professor & Starch Faculty Fellow, The University of Iowa)
Dr. Perlmutter is Director of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and a Professor and Starch Fellow at The University of Iowa. His BA and MA was from the University of Pennsylvania; Ph.D. from Minnesota. He served as a Board member of the American Association of Political Consultants. He is the author or editor of nine books on political communication, dozens of research articles as well as more than 200 essays for U.S. and international newspapers and magazines, and has been interviewed by most major news orgs, from the New York Times to CNN and The Daily Show.
Connect With Me:
Journalism 101 For Bloggers
Blogging > Content > Content Creation
Education Level: Beginner
Dr. David Perlmutter presents Journalism 101. The most successful local social media content creators are those who build a brand reputation for professionalism as well as attracting audience numbers; often the two are accomplished in synch. “Going pro” means looking and sounding like a pro…and better yet getting the imprint of being a pro through an alliance with local institutional media like TV/online/print news organizations. This workshop will offer the “101″ basics of what you can do to be accepted by viewer-readers as well as the local journalism establishment through enhancing your professional style, process and content.
1. The basics of style and form for word and video communication that are professional grade.
2. Tips for making your content attractive to media organizations as well as the public—to stand out from the vast horde of social media competition.
3. How to professionalize your own status and “look” via your website/social media platform.
4. How to contact local media to seek partnerships.
5. What local media are looking for in citizen content creators.
6. How to structure agreements for content creation with local media.